Annually, the Stamford Family YMCA awards $150,000 in financial assistance to help people participate in programs they couldn’t otherwise afford. It’s our goal to make our programs and services available to everyone regardless of ability to pay.
A waiver or reduction of fees is available subject to facility and program capacity, and demonstrated need, without regard to race, color, nationality, religion, gender, age, or disability.
Don’t Terminate Your Membership
We know that things get tough sometimes. The Y is here for you! Before you decide to leave the YMCA due to any type of financial situation, whether you’ve lost your job, decrease in pay, bills are piling up, or just cutting back due to the economy, please come and speak with us. We know you need the Y and the Y needs you. We are working with members to make sure the Y remains a part of their lives.
The YMCA requires that individuals reapply every year for membership and every six months for a program or when requested to keep the information on their application updated.
To process your application, we will need the following information:
- Fully completed Stamford Family Y Membership Form / Application (available at the front desk)
- One page letter stating your request and personal situation.
- All documentation that substantiates your current monthly expenses (i.e. rental or mortgage payments, utility payments, utility bills, school loans, medical, insurance or other normal monthly expenses).
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- Copy of last three pay stubs (or) Copy of public aid documentation (or) Copy of social security or disability checks (or copy of bank statement showing amount of automatic deposit)
If you do not have a copy of your tax return, you may obtain one by calling the IRS at 800-829-1040. If you did not file taxes last year, or if you don’t have the other documents required, please indicate and explain.
All YMCA members receive the same membership benefits, regardless of whether or not they are receiving assistance. YMCA members can feel great knowing that they are involved in an organization that cares greatly for the health and well-being of people and is committed to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities.
Your application will be handled confidentially by the Chief Executive Officer and Membership Director. We do our best to review all applications in a timely manner. Please allow 10-15 business days.
You will be notified by the Membership Director as to the status, and final determination of your financial assistance application.
- If you have a current scholarship and would like to request a scholarship for another family member within the same tax year, you may fill out a supplemental scholarship form.
- If it becomes necessary to register for (additional) classes during the year, a supplemental scholarship request form may be obtained at the front desk and returned to the attention of the YMCA Financial Assistance Committee. The same process as described above will be followed.
Due to limited scholarship funds, it may be necessary to serve the needs of new applicants before granting additional funds to recent recipients. Former recipients in some cases may continue to receive assistance but at a reduced level.
It is your responsibility to notify the Stamford Family Y of any changes in your income status.